Friday, September 12, 2008

I Know Text Books Are Expensive BUT...

So I work at the bookstore on the campus of a seminary. (trivial information but informs the upcoming story) I'm minding my business shelving books, helping customers when a man walks up to me and asks me if we have a certain book he is looking for. I know right where the book is and I go and get it for him. I hand him the book, he looks at the price tag on the back (wasn't one of the high priced text books), flips through some of the pages and then he looks back up at me.

Now remember I work at a bookstore...where we sell books...I get paid because we SELL books...this is NOT a library...the man is a seminary student...graduate school...

"I really only need to read about 10 pages out of this book. Do you have a copy machine here?"

crickets chirping as I stare at him...

"I'm sorry sir, we can't do that here."

he thinks for a few seconds...

"So I guess I can buy the book and return it tomorrow, right?"

my chin falls to the floor like a character in a Tom and Jerry cartoon...

"If that's your prerogative, but you didn't tell me that."

I know text books are hard on the budget but he just asked me to break copyright laws and then tells me he is going to use a book for free. Books that I sell to pay my bills. People will never stop amazing me.

No comments: