Saturday, November 22, 2008

Who I Once Was


I've been reading the introduction to a book I recently bought and the author is preparing to set out preaching in a world where preaching could seem irrelevant. But I have not gotten to that discussion yet and it is in the set-up for the book where the author poses a question that has been ringing in my head for the last two days.

"Could I now reach who I once was."

My story is full of twists and turns and I have changed a great deal as a person in the last 10 years. I am not the same person I was in the early 90's. As I read this statement I thought about going to my old apartment in Bloomington, IN and spending some time there. Would I be able to talk to and reach the person I was then. Could I talk to and make a difference in the lives of the people I spent time with back then?

What is your story? Have you been changed so much that you wonder what might happen if you tried to impact the person you were years ago? Do we live in such a Christian bubble that we cannot relate or carry on a conversation with the people Jesus is calling us to reach? What do I do about that now? How does this question influence the way I live out ministry in the years to come? I've been wondering for days and will probably wonder for days to come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Weird. I've been thinking similar thoughts lately. Really I've been thinking about how God lets us experience things to use them for his purposes later. I've been thinking about how I can use my story, tell my story, live my story in a way that shows THE way. Can't wait to see you tomorrow.
Love you!