Monday, July 11, 2011

Ministry at the Bottom of the Hill

Have you ever walked through the house looking for something and eventually you realize you have walked past what you were looking for at least five times?

This happened to me the other day.

I had been busy about ministry all week. Meetings with congregation members in Westminster (20 minutes), Gettysburg (30 minutes), Frederick (30 minutes). I had taken supplies that our church was collecting to the local food bank. Running here, there, and everywhere looking for ministry opportunities.

Then my phone rang.

An elderly lady at the bottom of the hill is on the other end in a panic. Something is wrong with her water heater, she has called everyone she knows to call and no one can come help her. She wonders if I can come and help.

I WALK down to her house.

I spend some time looking at her water and water heater. Not an emergency. The plumber can fix it when he comes in a few hours. But we spend 45 minutes talking about her life and struggles. She needed someone to talk to.abandonedphoto © 2008 Shirl | more info(via: Wylio)

I wonder how many times we miss the ministry at the bottom of the hill while we run here, there and everywhere looking for ministry?

I then came across this article by Kurt Willems and it brought this thought to my attention again.

What ministry are we missing at the bottom of the hill?

No comments: